Yes, It’s Viral, Spread the Word!
10/25/2011 5:43 AM
It’s that time of year again, when the word “viral” typically means the spreading of nasty colds and flu bugs. But Hoffmaster® is saying, “Bring on the viral!”
Hoffmaster® has worked diligently over the last year to increase its word of mouth, or viral marketing. Over the last 12 months we’ve redesigned our website, designed a new microsite
, launched a monthly e-mail, and manage the following social media sites: Twitter
, and this blog. Our goal is to integrate our online marketing efforts with traditional marketing communications such as our annual Product Portfolio, trade publication advertising and printed sales materials.
Hoffmaster® is participating in viral marketing so we invite you to do the same! Your customers are talking, so you should join in. To help you get started, here are five easy “preventative” tips for you to follow to stay healthy this “Viral Season!”
- Listen First - Newcomers to social media sites should first listen to how people communicate. Each site is different. For example, Twitterers or Tweeps post short blurbs about what’s going on. Facebook friends keep it a little more personal and private.
- Make a Game Plan - One of the biggest mistakes companies make is joining social media without knowing what they’re game plan is. Determine your goals for interacting. Do you want to increase customer awareness? Do you want to promote certain things? Once you determine why then you can figure out how.
- Walk Before You Run - Pick one social media site to start with. Once you feel like you’ve gotten the hang of it then venture on to your next challenge.
- Give People a Reason to be Viral - Make sure that your topics are interesting enough that people want to talk about it. Make sure that the communication is a two-way street. You don’t want to be talking at your audience; you want to be talking with them to keep them engaged.
- Have Fun - Run contests or promotions, give coupons, etc. Just keep the energy high and the momentum going. Remember that high quality content will help build relationships with your followers so have fun with them!